Brewer AB InBev raises
offer for rival SABMiller
Send a link to a friend
[July 26, 2016]
By Freya Berry and Philip Blenkinsop
LONDON/BRUSSELS (Reuters) -
Anheuser-Busch InBev <ABI.BR> raised its $100 billion-plus bid for
rival brewer SABMiller on Tuesday after a slide in the value of the
pound following the Brexit vote made the offer less attractive for
many investors, threatening to derail the deal.
SABMiller <SAB.L> said its chairman talked with his counterpart at
AB InBev on Friday about the offer in the light of exchange rate
volatility and market movements, although they did not discuss the
new terms.
The world's largest brewer will now offer 45 pounds a share for its
nearest rival, an increase from the 44 pounds announced in October
last year.
It also tweaked the terms of an alternative share-and-cash structure
designed for SABMiller's two largest shareholders, raising the cash
element by 88 pence a share.
The offer values SABMiller at around 79 billion pounds ($103.6
billion). In November, when the original bid was officially
launched, it was worth around 70 billion pounds, or $106 billion
based on exchange rates at the time. That original bid had since
dropped to about $100 billion.
Aberdeen Asset Management <ADN.L>, with a 1.17 percent SABMiller
stake according to Thomson Reuters data, said the revised offer was
still unacceptable, although analysts suggested the deal was now
likely to go through.

SABMiller, which provisionally agreed the deal struck in October,
said it had taken on Centerview Partners as a new financial advisor
and would consult with Centerview and with shareholders before
formally considering the revised offer.
The takeover is still awaiting regulatory approval in China.
SABMiller shareholders would expect to vote on it after that.
AB InBev (ABI), which has hedged to cover the pounds initially
required, said the revised terms were final. Under British law, this
means the price is set. AB InBev could only change it by dropping
the offer and waiting six months to make another.
Liberum analyst Alicia Forry said she believed the revised bid was
likely to be successful by throwing a "small bone" to activist
investors and shutting the door to further increases.
"The main thing from ABI’s perspective is they don’t want this to
drag and if they engaged (activists) it would," she said.
Bernstein Research brewing analyst Trevor Stirling said SABMiller's
shares would probably drop to 41.50 pounds if AB InBev's takeover
bid failed, adding that for AB InBev, an extra $2 billion was only a
modest deterioration of a deal that made strategic sense by adding
attractive African and Latin American markets.
At 1035 GMT, SABMiller shares were down 0.5 percent at 44.20 pounds.
AB InBev's were up 0.9 percent at 115.80 euros.
[to top of second column] |

A glass with beer and a bottle of Corona are seen in this picture
illustration November 5, 2015. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File
Photo

The changes come after a number of activist investors, such as
Elliott Capital Advisors and TCI Fund Management, bought stakes in
SABMiller and several shareholders voiced concerns at least week's
annual general meeting that the cash deal was less attractive for
many investors than before and, in any case, below the
share-and-cash alternative.
The latter, designed exclusively for Altria and Colombia's Santo
Domingo family who together own about 41 percent of SABMiller, had
been worth less than the all-cash option last year, but with the
fall of sterling and a rise of AB InBev shares, has surpassed it
since.
For a foreign dollar-based investor, the cash offer had dropped 12
percent since the British referendum vote to leave the European
Union on June 23. Meanwhile, AB InBev shares are more than 35
percent higher than October.
Aberdeen Asset Management said the revised offer undervalued the
company and continued to favor SABMiller's two major shareholders,
Altria and Bevco.
AB InBev said the share-and-cash offer value was now 51.14 pounds,
so above the 45 pounds of pure cash, but the new shares offered
would have to be held for at least five years.
"I wouldn’t like to second guess what the activists were hoping for,
but the increase is quite modest," one SABMiller shareholder told
Reuters.
(Additioanl reporting by Martinne Geller, Sinead Cruise, Simon
Jessop and Maiya Keidan; Editing by Mark Potter and Susan Fenton)
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 |