Sale, Sox roll over Yankees
Send a link to a friend
[May 14, 2016]
NEW YORK -- Chris Sale still gets
strikeouts.
Getting quick outs is just as an important component to him being the
best pitcher in baseball.
|

White Sox starting pitcher Chris Sale (49) delivers a pitch against the
New York Yankees in the ninth inning at Yankee Stadium. The White Sox
won 7-1. Mandatory Credit: Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports |
Sale became the first eight-game winner in the majors Friday night
by efficiently tossing a six-hitter and the Chicago White Sox scored
seven times in the first three innings of a 7-1 victory over the New
York Yankees Friday night.
Sale (8-0) finished off his second complete game of the season and
the 10th of his career by throwing a season-low 99 pitches. He
joined Eddie Cicotte (1919), John Whitehead (1935) and Jon Garland
(2005) as the only Chicago pitchers to begin a season by winning his
first eight starts while becoming the first major leaguer to do so
since Brandon Webb for Arizona in 2008.
Sale had six strikeouts and did not issue a walk for the third time
this season. He threw 71-of-99 pitches for strikes and allowed two
earned runs or less for the sixth straight time.
"He can go get it but to me this is a different guy," White Sox
manager Robin Ventura said of Sale, who led the majors with 274
strikeouts in 208 2/3 innings last year. "He can strike people out
but I think you're seeing a more effective guy that can go deeper
into games. I think the last couple of years he wouldn't have been
able to do this, finishing off games."
 Sale has yet to get a double-digit strikeout game this season but he
also has gone at least seven innings in seven starts. He was at 33
pitches when he gave up a single to Mark Teixeira to start the
fourth and needed only 66 more to help the White Sox (24-12) win for
the eighth time in 12 games.
"It's something we had talked about in spring training as far as
adding that to his game. A guy like him, yeah he could strike guys
out. If you want him to take that next step to being that ace, going
out there for that seventh, eighth, ninth inning is huge," Chicago
catcher Alex Avila said.
Helping Sale quickly finish off his latest win was an offense who
had a 3-0 lead through two innings and a 7-1 advantage through
three. It marked the fourth straight start where Sale received at
least six runs.
Avila opened the scoring with an RBI single off Luis Severino (0-6)
and Jose Abreu added a two-run single. Adam Eaton added a two-run
double in the third and Jimmy Rollins capped the scoring by reaching
the second deck in right field with a two-run home run.
"I've said a million times, I wouldn't be here without these guys,"
Sale said. "Six runs in four straight outings, I don't know if
there's a starting pitcher in the league that would complain about
that."
Sale's lone mistake was a 1-1 pitch to Chase Headley, who sent it
over the left-field wall to start the second. He retired 15 in a row
until the ninth but with runners on second and third, he retired
Headley on a fly ball and Gary Sanchez on a ground ball to end it.
[to top of second column] |

"Sale is Sale," Yankees catcher Austin Romine said. "He's going to
make some guys make some awkward swings. He did what he normally
does. He goes out there and attacks guys. We put some good swings on
the ball, but it just didn't fall for us."
Being unable to do much off Sale turned out to be the lowest of New
York's concerns. Severino exited one pitch after allowing the home
run to Rollins and an MRI revealed he has a mild right triceps
strain that will land the right-hander on the disabled list
Saturday.
Even without getting injured, it seemed Severino was headed for a
rough night. He allowed a career-high seven runs, gave up seven hits
and tied a career high with four walks while throwing 81 pitches in
the second-shortest outing of his brief career.
"He had no command," New York manager Joe Girardi said. "He was not
throwing the baseball where he wanted. He walked guys. He left balls
up. He missed his spots. No command."
NOTES: C Gary Sanchez became the sixth player to get a turn as the
team's starting DH when he was called up from Triple-A
Scranton/Wilkes Barre to play against LHPs Chris Sale and Jose
Quintana. To make room for Sanchez, the Yankees optioned LHP Tyler
Olson to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre a day after recalling him.
... The White Sox officially requested waivers on LHP John Danks,
who was designated for assignment last week. ... Chicago also
purchased the contract of LHP Matt Purke from Triple-A Charlotte.
... CF Jacoby Ellsbury missed his seventh consecutive game and the
Yankees are hoping to avoid placing him on the disabled list.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he thought Ellsbury was running
better Thursday and it's possible he might return Saturday
[© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.]
Copyright 2016 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 |