Woods
hopes to be a winner in another comeback
Send a link to a friend
[November 29, 2017]
By Steve Keating
(Reuters) - Tiger Woods makes another
return to competitive golf this week and despite 10 months on the
sidelines recovering from a fourth back surgery, the 14-time major
winner's goal remains the same -- to win.
While Woods's famous competitive fires continue to rage the former
world number one conceded he may have to temper his expectations at
the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas.
He takes on an elite 18-player field that includes eight of the top
10 in the current world rankings.
"I just really want to be able to compete this week, play all four
days and give myself a chance on the back nine on Sunday to win this
thing," a relaxed and smiling Woods told a news conference on
Tuesday from the Albany Club.
"I don't know where I'm at, I don't know how hard I can hit, what
shots can I play. I don't know what the future entails in that
regard because I am still learning this body."

This marks the third time Woods, 41, has attempted a comeback at the
Hero World Challenge, the charity event he hosts.
Just last year Woods made a similar return at the Hero following a
16-month hiatus for previous back surgeries and the initial reports
were upbeat after he completed four rounds.
Yet two months later he succumbed to more back pain and returned to
the operating table.
Woods, however, insists it is different this time.
"I was still struggling with some nerve issues down my leg when I
came back at Isleworth (the previous venue for the event), last year
I was the same but it was not where it's at now," said Woods. "It's
different than my prior two comebacks at this event. Last year I was
still struggling and this year is night and day.
[to top of second column] |

Tiger Woods smiles on the driving range during Tuesday's practice
round of the Hero World Challenge golf tournament at Albany.
Mandatory Credit: Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

"There's still some apprehension going forward and no doubt this
week is a big step for me, to be able to play golf, be explosive and
hit shots."
Woods said he has made no plans on his competitive future beyond the
Hero World Challenge.
While the state of his game remains a big question mark, he made it
clear that he has undergone a dramatic improvement in his quality of
life.
"The neatest thing for me is to be able to get up out of bed and I
can grab a club and not use it as a crutch," smiled Woods. "Now I'm
able to take a swing, you have no idea how exciting that is, I'm
just so thankful I've had this procedure and am back to this point.
"I've only been doing this for a month, give me a little more time.
Let me play this event and see what I can or can't do and I will
have a better understanding once I'm at game speed."
(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto. Editing by Toby Davis)
[© 2017 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2017 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 |