Judge agrees to delay Manafort trial
until next week
Send a link to a friend
[July 24, 2018]
By Sarah N. Lynch
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (Reuters) - A U.S. judge on
Monday delayed the criminal trial of President Donald Trump's former
campaign chairman Paul Manafort until next week, and made public the
identity of five witnesses granted immunity to testify.
U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III also said the office of Special
Counsel Robert Mueller must provide a list of about 30 witnesses to
lawyers for Manafort, who had sought a delay in his trial that had been
scheduled to start on Wednesday on bank and tax fraud charges.
Manafort, a longtime Republican operative and businessman, appeared in
court for the hearing in a green prison jumpsuit. He has pleaded not
guilty to 18 counts of bank and tax fraud and failure to file reports of
foreign bank and financial accounts.
It will be the first trial to originate in the special counsel's
investigation of Russia's role in the 2016 election.
Ellis said the trial delay until July 31 would give Manafort's attorneys
more time to review material recently submitted by prosecutors, but he
warned it would not be a lengthy process.
"I'm not going to allow this trial to drag on," Ellis said, adding he
would not let it turn into political theater. "I'm not in the theater
business."

According to court filings unsealed by Ellis on Monday, Mueller had
requested immunity for Dennis Raico, Cindy Laporta, Conor O'Brien, Donna
Duggan and James Brennan. They are all financial professionals who may
have gained some knowledge of Manafort’s business dealings.
Prosecutors said on Monday the only references to Manafort’s role in the
campaign during the trial would involve a banker who agreed to lend
Manafort money in exchange for a role in Trump’s campaign.
The banker was not named in open court. In court on Monday, Ellis asked
prosecutors if the banker who lent Manafort money in exchange for a
campaign role knew the documents to support the loan were inaccurate.
“He did,” prosecutor Greg Andres replied.
The Manafort charges largely predate the five months Manafort worked on
the Trump team in 2016, some of them as campaign chairman.
None of the charges relate to possible coordination with Russian
officials by members of the Trump campaign, which is part of Mueller's
investigation into Russia's interference in the election, and Andres
said on Monday the topic of alleged collusion would not be discussed in
the trial.
The Kremlin denies election interference and Trump denies collusion.
MULTIPLE INDICTMENTS
Manafort faces a second criminal trial in Washington in September on
related charges, including witness tampering, in connection with
lobbying work he performed for the former pro-Russia Ukrainian
government. His lawyers have argued they need more time to prepare for
both cases.
[to top of second column]
|

Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort arrives for arraignment
on a third superseding indictment against him by Special Counsel
Robert Mueller on charges of witness tampering, at U.S. District
Court in Washington, U.S. June 15, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

Mueller's probe has led to multiple indictments and several guilty
pleas from other Trump associates, including Rick Gates, a former
Trump deputy campaign chairman who worked with Manafort. Alex Van
der Zwaan, a lawyer who once worked closely with Manafort and Gates,
has also pleaded guilty and has been sentenced.
Although the charges did not reference the Trump campaign or the
2016 election, legal experts have said they put more pressure on
former Trump aides to cooperate with Mueller as he looks into
whether Russia tried to influence the election in favor of Trump by
hacking the emails of leading Democrats and distributing
disinformation and propaganda online.
Ellis has questioned Mueller's probe and said Manafort's indictment
appeared aimed at leveraging him to provide information on Trump.
Mueller's team has outlined an extensive list of evidence to present
at the Virginia trial, submitting a 21-page list detailing more than
400 exhibits that include scores of bank records, emails and
photographs, among other documents.
Manafort's lawyers have sought to exclude some of the exhibits,
arguing they are irrelevant and would prejudice the jurors, but
Mueller's office said the documents were pertinent.
Manafort's lawyers also complained on Monday that the prosecution
had turned over 120,000 additional pages of discovery without giving
them ample time to review the records before trial, an argument the
judge agreed with in issuing the delay.

Among the records turned over earlier in July included 20,000
accounting records from Manafort's bookkeeping company, as well as
voluminous images taken off electronic devices belonging to Gates,
Manafort's former business partner.
(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Additional reporting by Nathan Layne
and Daphne Psaledakis; Writing by John Whitesides; Editing by Grant
McCool and Peter Cooney)
[© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.]
Copyright 2018 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content. |