Reuters reporters in court 100 days after
their arrest in Myanmar
Send a link to a friend
[March 21, 2018]
By Simon Lewis and Sam Aung Moon
YANGON (Reuters) - Two Reuters reporters
appeared in a Myanmar court for the 11th time on Wednesday, which marked
100 days since they were arrested in December and accused of possessing
secret government papers.
The court in Yangon is holding preliminary hearings to decide whether
reporters Wa Lone, 31, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 28, will face charges under the
colonial-era Officials Secrets Act, which carries a maximum penalty of
14 years in prison.
"We have spent 100 days in prison," Wa Lone told reporters during a
break in proceedings. "Our journalism spirit was never down even after
spending many days in there."
Wa Lone's younger brother Thura Aung, 26, gave testimony on Wednesday,
describing a police search of the family home on the evening of Dec. 13,
the day after the journalists were arrested.
Thura Aung said that police who searched the house in north Yangon did
not show a warrant, identify themselves or explain the reason for the
search, during which a laptop, charger and bag, a hard drive and an old
notebook were seized.

His testimony contradicted Police Major Soe Aung, who told the court two
weeks ago that police had presented a warrant to Wa Lone's family when
they arrived.
Defence lawyer Than Zaw Aung told reporters after the hearing that under
Myanmar's Criminal Procedure Code police must identify themselves and
explain the reasons for their search.
"In the criminal procedure, the search officer must show the search
warrant at the search place," he said.
Lead prosecutor Kyaw Min Aung left the court building before Reuters was
able to put questions to him after the hearing. At previous hearings he
has declined to speak to reporters.
Government and police spokespeople have declined to comment on the case,
citing the ongoing court proceedings. The date of the next hearing was
set for March 28.
RESTAURANT MEETING
The journalists have told relatives they were arrested almost
immediately after being handed some rolled up papers after being invited
to a restaurant by two police officers they had not met before.
Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo had been investigating the killing of 10
Rohingya Muslim men in a village in western Myanmar's Rakhine state
during a military crackdown in August.
The crackdown, which the United Nations has said was ethnic cleansing,
has sent nearly 700,000 people fleeing to Bangladesh.
After the arrests of the reporters, the military admitted its soldiers
took part in the killing.
"They have been detained in Myanmar since December 12 simply for doing
their jobs as journalists," Reuters President and Editor-in-Chief
Stephen J. Adler said in a statement.
[to top of second column]
|

Detained Reuters journalist Wa Lone (C) is escorted by police as he
arrives for a court hearing in Yangon, Myanmar March 21, 2018.
REUTERS/Stringer

"Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo are exemplary individuals and outstanding
reporters who are dedicated to their families and their craft. They
should be in the newsroom, not in prison."
Myanmar's ambassador to the United Nations, Hau Do Suan, said last
month that the journalists were not arrested for reporting a story,
but were accused of "illegally possessing confidential government
documents".
Judge Ye Lwin declined a defense attempt to submit the Reuters
report describing the killings at the village of Inn Din as
evidence, citing a decision at an earlier hearing not to admit the
story at this stage in the proceedings.
Senior United Nations officials, Western nations and press freedom
advocates have called for the release of the journalists.
The U.S. Embassy in Yangon tweeted: "Today is the 100th day in
detention from reporters Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo. Freedom of the
press remains critical for Myanmar's democratic transition."
Diplomats from countries including the United States, Canada, Sweden
attended Wednesday's hearing.
The Danish embassy, which has closely monitored the case, said the
pair had spent "100 days behind bars for ensuring the public's right
to information".
A statement from Sweden's embassy said: "We believe they have done
nothing wrong and that the charges against them should be dropped
immediately."

EU Ambassador to Myanmar Kristian Schmidt, asked about the
journalists' reporting of the Rakhine crisis, said it was imperative
to establish what had taken place there.
"We all want to find out the truth of what happened," he said. "I
fear for the moment we have not seen the full truth of what has
happened."
(Reporting by Simon Lewis and Sam Aung Moon; Additional reporting by
Yimou Lee and Aye Win Myint; Editing by Lincoln Feast and Alex
Richardson)
[© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.]
Copyright 2018 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content. |