In a letter to the Commission, Economy Minister Giovanni Tria
said he recognised that the 2019 budget, which is set to hike
next year's fiscal deficit to 2.4 percent of gross domestic
product (GDP), was not in line with the EU Stability and Growth
Pact.
However, he said the government had to respond to years of
economic underperformance, adding it did not intend to further
expand the budget deficit in 2020 and 2021.
"(The budget) was a hard, but necessary decision in light of
Italy's delay in catching up to pre-crisis levels of GDP and the
desperate economic conditions in which the most disadvantaged
citizens find themselves in," Tria wrote.
"The government trusts that what it has explained is sufficient
to clear up the setup of its budget and that the (fiscal) law
will not put at risk the financial stability of Italy or other
EU state members," he added.
The European Commission sent Rome a warning letter about the
budget last week -- the first formal step of a procedure that
could lead to Brussels rejecting the fiscal package and imposing
fines on Italy.
An EU spokesman said on Monday that the European Commission
would discuss and decide on Tuesday the next steps in the
procedure for assessing Italy's 2019 draft budget.
(Reporting by Giulia Segreti; Editing by Crispian Balmer)
[© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2018 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content.
 |
|