Probe of FEMA chief referred to
prosecutors: source
Send a link to a friend
[September 18, 2018]
By Sarah N. Lynch
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal probe into
whether the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Brock Long,
improperly used his government car to commute from Washington to his
home in North Carolina has been referred to prosecutors for possible
criminal charges, according to a person familiar with the matter.
The person, who spoke anonymously because the investigation is not
public, said Long never had authorization to use a government car to
drive to his home in Hickory, North Carolina.
Since his home is more than 50 miles (80 km) away from his work station,
he also would have needed to get additional permission before using the
car on his commute, the person said on Monday. The number of people who
generally receive waivers to drive more than 50 miles is very small.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office in the District of Columbia accepted the
referral and the prosecutors in the Justice Department’s public
integrity section are also involved, the person added. A full
investigative report has yet to be completed.

The person said Long was also under investigation for improperly using
motorcades during the drives to North Carolina and putting aides up in
hotels.
A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment, saying the
department could neither confirm nor deny the existence of an
investigation.
Long, the latest Trump administration appointee to face scrutiny over
his use of government resources, said in a statement on Monday: "I am
not focused on this investigation. I am fully focused on those impacted
by Hurricane Florence."
He told reporters last week he would never intentionally break
government rules, following a report that his use of official vehicles
was under scrutiny.
[to top of second column]
|

FEMA Administrator Brock Long listens as U.S. President Donald
Trump holds an Oval Office meeting on preparations for hurricane
Florence at the White House in Washington, U.S., September 11, 2018.
REUTERS/Leah Millis

"Doing something unethical is not in my DNA, it is not part of my
track record," he added.
Florence, which hit the North Carolina coast on Thursday, has killed
23 people and displaced thousands before turning into a slow-moving
storm that threatens deeper flooding in the Carolinas.
Long said in the statement that he would meet with North Carolina
Governor Roy Cooper on Tuesday to discuss how to help in the storm
response and recovery.
The Wall Street Journal, which earlier reported about the referral
to prosecutors, said Long and two other federal employees may have
broken as many as six laws.
(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; Editing by Peter Cooney)
[© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.]
Copyright 2018 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content.
 |