U.S. judge dismisses GM ignition switch
criminal case
Send a link to a friend
[September 20, 2018]
By David Shepardson
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal judge in
New York on Wednesday dismissed a criminal case brought against General
Motors Co in 2015 over the largest U.S. automaker's handling of an
ignition-switch defect linked to 124 deaths.
U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan approved a request filed Monday by
federal prosecutors to dismiss the two-count criminal information.
In 2015, GM entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with the U.S.
Attorney's Office in New York after the Detroit automaker was charged
with concealing information from government officials, and wire fraud.
GM agreed to pay a $900 million fine and accept three years of oversight
by an independent monitor.
Federal prosecutors in New York told Nathan in a letter Monday that GM
had complied with the terms of the agreement.

GM has paid more than $2.6 billion in penalties and settlements,
including the fine, over faulty ignition switches that could cause
engines to stall and prevent airbags from deploying in crashes. The
defect was linked to 124 deaths and 275 injuries, and prompted a recall
that began in February 2014 of 2.6 million vehicles.
GM spokesman David Caldwell said in an emailed statement on Wednesday
the government had finished monitoring the company.
GM has made substantial safety improvements over the last few years and
added a new product safety structure, Caldwell added.
No individuals were criminally charged, but Chief Executive Mary Barra
fired 15 people, including eight executives, over the issue. Barra said
last year the ignition recall was "a moment in time where the company
committed deeply to safety."
[to top of second column]
|

General Motors Co. headquarters is seen in Detroit, Michigan,
September 17, 2015. REUTERS/Rebecca Cook

Federal officials said in 2015 that GM concealed the deadly defect
and could have significantly reduced the risk by improving its key
design for less than $1 dollar per vehicle.
In October 2017, GM agreed to pay $120 million to resolve ignition
switch claims from 49 states. The states said GM knew as early as
2004 that the ignition switch posed a safety defect because it could
cause airbag non-deployment, but company officials decided it was
not a safety concern and delayed recalls.
The issue prompted an industrywide jump in recalls in 2014 to an
all-time high and cast a spotlight on GM's safety record as Barra
testified before the U.S. Congress.
GM still faces some pending civil lawsuits over the ignition switch
issue, including some economic loss claims.
(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Richard Chang)
[© 2018 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.]
Copyright 2018 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content.
 |