'I'm not playing unless I get
mine': Snell balks at pay cut
Send a link to a friend
[May 15, 2020]
By Rory Carroll
(Reuters) - Tampa Bay Rays pitcher
Blake Snell is unwilling to put his physical and financial health in
jeopardy to take the mound in a shortened season that would likely
include a steep pay cut, he said on Thursday.
Major League Baseball (MLB) and the players union are this week
trying to hammer out an agreement for the coronavirus-delayed season
to start in early July.
But the proposal offered by owners reportedly includes a 50-50 split
of revenues between the league and the players, which would diminish
player salaries during a season that would consist of 82 games
instead of the usual 162. [nL8N2CT856]
Snell, the 2018 AL Cy Young Award winner, said that was a
non-starter.
"I'm not splitting no revenue, I want all mine," he said on
livestreaming platform Twitch.

"You're all going to be like, 'Play for the love of the game. What's
wrong with you? Money should not be a thing'," he said, echoing a
sentiment shared by sports columnists this week.
"Bro I'm risking my life. What do you mean it shouldn't be a thing?
It 100% should be a thing."
Snell, 27, last year signed a five-year, $50 million contract with
the Rays that included a $3 million signing bonus.
"If I'm going to play, I should be getting the money I signed to be
getting paid," he said.
[to top of second column] |

ampa Bay Rays pitcher Blake Snell (4) gets ready to pitch during the
ninth inning at Tropicana Field. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA
TODAY Sports

"I should not be getting paid half of what I'm getting paid because
the season is cut in half, on top of a 33% cut to the half that's
already there.
"So I'm really getting 25% and on top of that, it's getting taxed,"
he said.
"I'm not playing unless I get mine, okay? That's just the way it is
for me."
The lefty said he is also concerned about any lasting damage that
could come from contracting the novel coronavirus, which has killed
almost 84,000 people in the United States.
MLB is readying a detailed, 80-page safety proposal that includes
guidelines for testing and protocols in case players or staff test
positive for the virus to present to the players. [nL4N2CV3JH]
"What if I get the 'rona?" he said. "That damage that was done to my
body, that's going to be there forever. I love baseball to death,
but it's just not worth it."
(Reporting by Rory Carroll in Los Angeles, editing by Ed Osmond)
[© 2020 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2020 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content.
 |