Leading Polish government critic should leave ombudsman role, says court
Send a link to a friend
[April 15, 2021]
WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland's
Constitutional Tribunal ruled on Thursday that the human rights
ombudsman be removed from his post, drawing opposition accusations that
the court sought to illegally end the mandate of a staunch government
critic.
After the nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) came to power in 2015, Adam
Bodnar emerged as a leading defender of liberal values such as women's
and minority rights, as well as judicial independence, which critics say
are under threat from PiS.
His five-year term ended in September, but parliament could not agree on
a replacement, with the lower and upper houses controlled, respectively,
by the government and the opposition.

In its ruling, the Tribunal said the legislation that stipulates that in
such cases the ombudsman stays in office until lawmakers pick a new one
was unconstitutional.
"The term is clearly defined and its extension is unacceptable," it said
in a statement.
Critics say the Tribunal is part of sweeping judiciary reforms conducted
by PiS which the European Union has branded as subversive of democratic
checks and balances. PiS denies this.
The European Commission expressed concern on Thursday over the Tribunal
verdict on the ombudsman.
"It is of paramount importance to ensure that this institution, which
defends citizens' rights and plays an important role in upholding the
rule of law, remains independent, that its activity is not hindered and
that its effective operation is preserved," Commission spokesman
Christian Wigand told a regular news briefing.
[to top of second column]
|

Adam Bodnar, Poland's Commissioner for Human Rights speaks during an
interview with Reuters in Warsaw, Poland July 16, 2019. Picture
taken July 16, 2019. REUTERS/Kacper Pempel

Bodnar urged lawmakers to decide quickly on his successor, saying
PiS could otherwise appoint a commissioner, turning the post into
one not sufficiently independent from the government.
The Tribunal said on Thursday Bodnar would stay in his post for
three months as an interim solution. A vote on a new candidate was
due on Thursday evening.
Bodnar's activities came into focus earlier this week when a Warsaw
court halted the purchase of several local newspapers from a German
owner by state-backed energy group PKN Orlen following an appeal by
Bodnar.
Opposition political parties have said the takeover - approved by
competition watchdog UOKiK and completed by PKN earlier this year -
is part of the government's wider efforts to increase its control of
the media.
(Reporting by Anna Wlodarczak-Semczuk, Pawel Florkiewicz and Joanna
Plucinska, writing by Alan Charlish, Editing by William Maclean and
Gareth Jones)
[© 2021 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2021 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content.
 |