U.S.
plans to begin administering COVID-19 booster shots in September -
source
Send a link to a friend
[August 17, 2021]
(Reuters) -The Biden administration plans
to begin administering COVID-19 booster shots to Americans as early as
mid or late September, pending authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration, a source familiar with the discussions told Reuters late
on Monday.
|
Health officials in U.S. President Joe Biden's administration
gathered round the view that most people should get a booster shot
eight months after they completed their initial vaccination, the
source said.
According https://nyti.ms/3spoZiU to the New York Times, which
earlier reported the development, officials are planning to announce
the administration's decision as early as this week, with the first
boosters likely to go to nursing home residents and health care
workers, followed by other older people.

Last week, U.S regulators authorized a third dose of COVID-19
vaccines by Pfizer Inc and its German partner BioNTech SE and
Moderna Inc for people with compromised immune systems who are
likely to have weaker protection from the two-dose regimens.
[to top of second column] |
 The administration's goal is to
let those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech or
Moderna vaccines know that they will need
additional protection against the Delta variant
of the coronavirus, NYT said.
The newspaper added that officials also expect
recipients of the vaccine from Johnson &
Johnson, which was authorized as a one-dose
regimen, will also require an additional dose.
(Reporting by Steve Holland in Washington and
Bhargav Acharya in Bengaluru; Editing by
Christian Schmollinger)
[© 2021 Thomson Reuters. All rights
reserved.] Copyright 2021 Reuters. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Thompson Reuters is solely responsible for this content
 |