Prosecutors say no reason for new trial in ComEd Four case
Send a link to a friend
[October 17, 2024]
By Brett Rowland | The Center Square
(The Center Square) – Federal prosecutors said the four former lobbyists
and utility executives convicted in the ComEd Four trial last year don't
need a new trial after the U.S. Supreme Court narrowed the federal
bribery statute.
Defense attorneys for the four former Commonwealth Edison executives and
lobbyists convicted of bribing one of the state's most powerful
politicians had asked a judge for a new trial.
The four defendants, who have not be sentenced, had asked Judge Manish
Shah to dismiss the indictment against them and issue an acquittal after
a U.S. Supreme Court ruling on the federal bribery statute. Shah has yet
to rule on the request.
Prosecutors said in a response that the defense didn't file the motion
in a timely manner and the no relief should be granted. Prosecutors said
that even if the timing of the motion didn't matter, the defendants
still shouldn't get a new trial and any errors in jury instruction were
harmless.
The Supreme Court ruled the federal bribery statute does not make it a
crime for public officials to accept gratuities – payments or rewards
made after an official act, rather than before the official act.
Prosecutors said they never pursued a gratuity theory and relied on
bribery throughout the case.

[to top of second column]
|

"Evidence made it clear that the jury convicted on the bribery
theory the government presented," prosecutors wrote. "First, the
benefits provided to Madigan subcontractors and others were made
continuously over a period of approximately eight years. No rational
jury would have concluded that a stream of benefits over eight years
that far exceeded $1 million (that also had to be justified for
renewal often on an annual basis) was simply a thank you for past
action, particularly when the jury heard from each defendant about
the reason why they needed to continue making the payments going
forward. The payments were explained as necessary to ensure ComEd
continued to get the legislation it needed. This continuous stream
of high-value benefits over a long period of time provided powerful
evidence of an intent to influence Madigan."
In May 2023, an Illinois jury convicted former state lawmaker and
lobbyist Michael McClain, former ComEd CEO Anne Pramaggiore, former
ComEd lobbyist John Hooker and former contract lobbyist Jay Doherty.
The case involved a conspiracy to bribe former Illinois House
Speaker Michael Madigan with $1.3 million in no-show jobs, contracts
and payments to associates in exchange for support with legislation
that would benefit the utility's bottom line.
Madigan served in the Illinois House from 1971 to 2021, as speaker
from 1983 to 1995 and again from 1997 to 2021. That made him one of
the state's most powerful politicians, especially given his role as
head of the Democratic party in the state.
Jury selection is under way in a separate trial where Madigan faces
23 counts of racketeering, bribery, and official misconduct. Madigan
has pleaded not guilty. |