Judge finds Trump administration hasn’t fully followed his order to
unfreeze federal spending
Send a link to a friend
[February 11, 2025]
By LINDSAY WHITEHURST
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge found Monday that the Trump
administration hasn’t fully followed his order to unfreeze federal
spending and told the White House to release billions of dollars in
funding. The Trump administration quickly appealed the ruling.
U.S. District Court Judge John McConnell became the first judge to find
that the administration had disobeyed a court order. Federal money for
things like early childhood education, pollution reduction and HIV
prevention research has remained tied up even after his Jan. 31 order
blocking a planned halt on federal spending, he found.
McConnell ordered the Trump administration to “immediately take every
step necessary” to follow his temporary restraining order halting plans
for a sweeping freeze of federal funding.
McConnell's temporary restraining order issued Monday also blocks the
administration from cutting billions of dollars in grant funding from
the National Institutes of Health.
“These pauses in funding violate the plain text of the (temporary
restraining order),” McConnell wrote. “The broad categorical and
sweeping freeze of federal funds is, as the Court found, likely
unconstitutional and has caused and continues to cause irreparable harm
to a vast portion of this country."
The ruling comes after top Trump administration officials over the
weekend openly questioned the judiciary’s authority to serve as a check
on executive power as his wide-ranging agenda draws pushback from the
courts.
Judges have also blocked, at least temporarily, Trump’s push to end
birthright citizenship for anyone born in the U.S., access to Treasury
Department records by billionaire Elon Musk’s Department of Government
Efficiency and a mass deferred resignation plan for federal workers.

The White House did not immediately respond to a message seeking
comment. THe Justice Department appealed the ruling to the 1st Circuit
Court of Appeals.
The administration has said it was making good-faith efforts to comply
with the judge’s ruling in a lawsuit filed by nearly two dozen states.
But the Justice Department also argued that his ruling only applied to a
sweeping spending freeze outlined in a late January memo that has since
been rescinded.
The ruling doesn't apply to other spending pauses outlined in different
memos, including funds that were part of President Joe Biden’s signature
climate, health care and tax package.
[to top of second column]
|

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One as
he prepares to sign a proclamation declaring Feb. 9 Gulf of America
Day as he travels from West Palm Beach, Fla. to New Orleans, Sunday,
Feb. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

But McConnell, who is based in Rhode Island and was nominated by
President Barack Obama, said his order blocked the administration from a
wide range of funding cuts.
The Republican administration previously said the sweeping funding pause
would bring federal spending in line with the president’s agenda, and
the White House press secretary has indicated some spending halts would
continue as part of his blitz of executive orders.
Trump has sought to increase fossil fuel production, remove protections
for transgender people and end diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
A different federal judge in Washington has issued a temporary
restraining order against the funding freeze plan and since expressed
concern that some nonprofit groups weren’t getting their funding.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha applauded McConnell's
ruling.
“This is a country of laws. We expect the administration to follow the
law,” Neronha said in a statement. “We will not hesitate to go back to
court if they don’t comply.”
In Oregon, a group that provides services and support to immigrants
working to become U.S. citizens received a letter immediately freezing
their funding on Feb. 4, Frank Jay So, executive director of the
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon, told The Associated Press.
As of Monday, the group has not received any notice that would indicate
the funds are now available, he said.
“It’s sooooo frustrating!” he said. “We have a workshop planned for next
month and will do so without federal funds if needed but at some point,
our savings will dry up and so will this work.”
The group has received funding since 2010 and has helped more than 4,000
immigrants from 80 countries become citizens. This work, So said,
benefits citizens who depend on the migrant workforce as well as
immigrants. “Haphazard actions like this only cause harm."
___
Associated Press writers Chris Megerian in Washington and Martha
Bellisle in Seattle contributed reporting.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |