Armed fighters have raped scores of children in eastern Congo, UNICEF
says
Send a link to a friend
[February 14, 2025]
By MARK BANCHEREAU
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — The U.N. children’s fund on Thursday accused armed
men, likely on both sides of the conflict in eastern Congo, of raping
scores of children over the past weeks as rebels expand their footprint
and push government forces out.
The accusation came as the conflict in the mineral-rich region shows no
signs of abating. UNICEF cited reports of the abuses, saying the
offenders were apparently from among both the M23 rebels and the
government forces fighting them.
"In the North and South Kivu provinces, we are receiving horrific
reports of grave violations against children by parties to the conflict,
including rape and other forms of sexual violence at levels surpassing
anything we have seen in recent years,” UNICEF's Executive Director
Catherine Russell said in a statement.
“One mother recounted to our staff how her six daughters, the youngest
just 12 years old, were systematically raped by armed men while
searching for food," Russell added.
Health facilities in the restive region reported during the week from
Jan. 27 to Feb. 2 a total of 572 rape cases — more than a fivefold
increase compared to the week before, Lianne Gutcher, UNICEF's
communication chief in Congo, told The Associated Press.
Of those, 170 of those treated were children, she added.
Armed men perpetrated the rapes but it was unclear what specific armed
group or army they belonged to, Gutcher said. “It is suspected that all
parties to the conflict committed sexual violence,” she added.
The Rwanda-backed M23 rebels are the most prominent among more than 100
armed groups vying for control of Congo’s mineral-rich east in a
decades-long conflict that has created one of the world’s largest
humanitarian crises. In late January, the rebels captured Goma, the
region’s largest city, in a major escalation of the fighting.
Last week, the United Nations Human Rights Council launched a commission
that will investigate atrocities, including rapes and killings akin to
“summary executions” committed by both the Congolese army and the M23
rebels in the region since the beginning of the year.
[to top of second column]
|

People who were displaced by the fighting between M23 rebels and
government soldiers prepare to leave their camp following an
instruction by M23 rebels in Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo,
Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2025. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa)

On Monday, 84 Congolese soldiers accused of murder, rape and other
crimes in the country's east went on trial in the city of Bukavu.
The city is under the control of government forces but the rebel
offensive has inched closer to it recently.
Congo's Health Minister Roger Kamba, meanwhile, said 143 patients
who were being treated for mpox fled from Goma’s hospitals as the
rebels pushed into the city. Some were found or came back on their
own but 110 have not returned.
The minister said the city has also recorded nearly 100 cases of
cholera since the rebel offensive started. Goma is now fully under
rebel control.
Kamba added that Congolese authorities, with the help of aid groups,
were able to send vaccines, medical supplies and medicines to Goma
through a humanitarian corridor via neighboring Kenya and Rwanda. He
did not provide details.
On Thursday, Congolese musician Delcat Idengo was killed in Goma in
what authorities described as an “assassination.” Congo's government
spokesperson Patrick Muyaya blamed his death on “Rwanda and its
accomplices.” The Associated Press was not able to independently
verify the circumstances surrounding the death of the artist, known
for his politically charged songs.
___
Associated Press writer Jean-Yves Kamale in Kinshasa, Congo,
contributed to this report.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |