Key federal agencies refuse to comply with Musk's latest demand in his
cost-cutting crusade
Send a link to a friend
[February 24, 2025]
By STEVE PEOPLES, ERIC TUCKER and AMANDA SEITZ
WASHINGTON (AP) — Key U.S. agencies, including the FBI, State Department
and the Pentagon, have instructed their employees not to comply with
cost-cutting chief Elon Musk's latest demand that federal workers
explain what they accomplished last week — or risk losing their job.
The pushback from appointees of President Donald Trump marked a new
level of chaos and confusion within the beleaguered federal workforce,
just a month after Trump returned to the White House and quickly began
fulfilling campaign promises to shrink the government.
Administration officials scrambled throughout the weekend to interpret
Musk's unusual mandate, which apparently has Trump's backing despite
some lawmakers arguing it is illegal. Unions want the administration to
rescind the request and are threatening to sue.
Some officials are resisting. Others are encouraging their workers to
comply. At some agencies, there was conflicting guidance.
One message on Sunday morning from the Department of Health and Human
Services, led by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., instructed its roughly 80,000
employees to comply. That was shortly after the acting general counsel,
Sean Keveney, had instructed some not to. And by Sunday evening, agency
leadership issued new instructions that employees should “pause
activities" on the request until noon Monday.
“I’ll be candid with you. Having put in over 70 hours of work last week
advancing Administration’s priorities, I was personally insulted to
receive the below email,” Keveney said in an email viewed by The
Associated Press.
Keveney laid out security concerns and pointed out some of the work done
by the agency’s employees may be protected by attorney-client privilege:
“I have received no assurances that there are appropriate protections in
place to safeguard responses to this email.”

Musk's team sent an email to federal employees on Saturday giving them
roughly 48 hours to report five specific things they had accomplished
last week. In a separate message on X, Musk said any employee who failed
to respond by the deadline — set in the email as 11:59 p.m. EST Monday —
would lose their job.
Pushback to Musk's demand
Democrats and even some Republicans were critical of Musk's ultimatum,
which came just hours after Trump encouraged him on social media to “get
more aggressive” in reducing the size of the government through his
Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE.
Sen. John Curtis, R-Utah, was among the members of Trump’s party who had
concerns.
“If I could say one thing to Elon Musk, it’s like, please put a dose of
compassion in this,” Curtis, whose state has 33,000 federal employees,
said on CBS’ “Face the Nation." “These are real people. These are real
lives. These are mortgages. ... It's a false narrative to say we have to
cut and you have to be cruel to do it as well.”
On ABC’s “This Week,” Rep. Mike Lawler, R-N.Y., questioned the legal
basis the Trump administration would have for dismissing tens of
thousands of workers for refusing to heed Musk’s latest demand. The
email did not include the threat about workers losing their jobs.
For Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., there was no doubt: “The actions he’s
taking are illegal," he said on “Face the Nation.”
Trump mocked the affected workers in a meme Sunday on his social media
network. The post featured a cartoon character writing a list of
accomplishments from the previous week led by, “Cried about Trump,”
“Cried about Elon,” “Made it into the office for once,” and “Read some
emails.”
Some federal agencies aren't complying
Newly confirmed FBI Director Kash Patel, an outspoken Trump ally,
instructed bureau employees to ignore Musk’s request, at least for now.
“The FBI, through the Office of the Director, is in charge of all of our
review processes, and will conduct reviews in accordance with FBI
procedures,” Patel wrote in an email confirmed by the AP. “When and if
further information is required, we will coordinate the responses. For
now, please pause any responses.”
Ed Martin, the interim U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, sent
his staff a message Sunday that may cause more confusion. Martin noted
that he responded to Musk's order.
[to top of second column]
|

Elon Musk speaks at the Conservative Political Action Conference,
CPAC, at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, Thursday,
Feb. 20, 2025, in Oxon Hill, Md. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

“Let me clarify: We will comply with this OPM request whether by
replying or deciding not to reply,” Martin wrote in the email
obtained by the AP, referring to the Office of Personnel Management.
“Please make a good faith effort to reply and list your activities
(or not, as you prefer), and I will, as I mentioned, have your back
regarding any confusion,” Martin continued. “We can do this.”
The night before, Martin had instructed staff to comply. “DOGE and
Elon are doing great work. Historic. We are happy to participate,”
Martin wrote at that time.
Officials at the Departments of State, Defense and Homeland Security
were more consistent.
Tibor Nagy, acting undersecretary of state for management, told
employees in an email that department leadership would respond on
behalf of workers.
“No employee is obligated to report their activities outside of
their Department chain of command,” Nagy wrote in an email.
Pentagon leadership instructed employees to “pause” any response to
Musk's team as well.
“The Department of Defense is responsible for reviewing the
performance of its personnel and it will conduct any review in
accordance with its own procedures,” according to an email from
Jules Hurst, deputy undersecretary of defense for personnel and
readiness. “When and if required, the Department will coordinate
responses.”
The Homeland Security Department told employees that “no reporting
action from you is needed at this time” and that agency managers
would respond, according to an email from R.D. Alles, deputy
undersecretary for management.
Job cuts across the government
Everett Kelley, president of the 800,000-member American Federation
of Government Employees, said in a letter Sunday to the
administration that it should rescind Musk's request and apologize
to all federal workers by the end of the day.
"We believe that employees have no obligation to respond to this
plainly unlawful email absent other lawful direction,” he wrote,
describing Musk as “unelected and unhinged.”
Thousands of government employees have already been forced out of
the federal workforce — either by being fired or through a “deferred
resignation” offer. There is no official figure available for the
total firings or layoffs so far, but the AP has tallied hundreds of
thousands of workers who are being affected.
Musk on Sunday called his latest request “a very basic pulse check.”

“The reason this matters is that a significant number of people who
are supposed to be working for the government are doing so little
work that they are not checking their email at all!” Musk wrote on
X. “In some cases, we believe non-existent people or the identities
of dead people are being used to collect paychecks. In other words,
there is outright fraud.”
He has provided no evidence of such fraud. Separately, Musk and
Trump have falsely claimed in recent days that tens of millions of
dead people over 100 years old are receiving Social Security
payments.
Meanwhile, thousands of other employees are preparing to leave the
federal workforce this coming week, including probationary civilian
workers at the Pentagon and all but a fraction of U.S. Agency for
International Development staffers through cuts or leave.
___
Peoples reported from New York. Associated Press writers Byron Tau,
Ellen Knickmeyer, Matthew Perrone and Tara Copp in Washington and
Valerie Gonzalez in McAllen, Texas, contributed to this report.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |