An unknown illness kills over 50 people in part of Congo with hours
between symptoms and death
Send a link to a friend
[February 25, 2025]
By JEAN-YVES KAMALE
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — An unknown illness has killed over 50 people in
northwestern Congo, according to doctors on the ground and the World
Health Organization on Monday.
The interval between the onset of symptoms and death has been 48 hours
in the majority of cases, and "that’s what’s really worrying,” Serge
Ngalebato, medical director of Bikoro Hospital, a regional monitoring
center, told The Associated Press.
The latest disease outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo began on
Jan. 21, and 419 cases have been recorded including 53 deaths.
According to the WHO's Africa office, the first outbreak in the town of
Boloko began after three children ate a bat and died within 48 hours
following hemorrhagic fever symptoms.
[to top of second column]
|
 There have long been concerns about
diseases jumping from animals to humans in places where wild animals
are popularly eaten. The number of such outbreaks in Africa has
surged by more than 60% in the last decade, the WHO said in 2022.
After the second outbreak of the current mystery
disease began in the town of Bomate on Feb. 9, samples from 13 cases
have been sent to the National Institute for Biomedical Research in
Congo's capital, Kinshasa, for testing, the WHO said.
All samples have been negative for Ebola or other common hemorrhagic
fever diseases like Marburg. Some tested positive for malaria.
Last year, another mystery flu-like illness that killed dozens of
people in another part of Congo was determined to be likely malaria.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |