North Carolina home insurance premium base rates increasing about 15% by
mid-2026
Send a link to a friend
[January 20, 2025]
RALEIGH. N.C. (AP) — Base rates for North Carolina homeowners' insurance
premiums will increase on average by about 15% by mid-2026 as part of a
settlement reached by the state Insurance Department and the industry.
The agreement announced Friday by state Insurance Commissioner Mike
Causey contrasts with the January 2024 request by the North Carolina
Rate Bureau, which represents insurance companies, seeking a 42.2%
overall average increase.
Causey, an elected official who began his third term earlier this month,
formally rejected the bureau's request last year. That led to a formal
hearing that began in October and included multiple weeks of witnesses,
evidence and arguments. The state Insurance Department said its
witnesses would contend rates should be lowered or increased by less
than 3%.
Except for the settlement, a hearing officer — in consultation with
Causey — would have decided what the new rates should be. The Rate
Bureau could have appealed that decision in court.
Causey said in a news release that the proposed rate increases “are
sufficient to make sure that insurance companies, who have paid out
large sums due to natural disasters and face increasing reinsurance
costs due to national catastrophes, have adequate funds on hand to pay
claims."

The bureau attributed its large request to high inflation — particularly
on building materials — combined with calamitous storms and “severely
inadequate” premium rates to cover claims. The bureau’s requested
increases had varied widely from just over 4% in parts of the mountains
to over 99% in some beach areas.
The agreed-upon increases, carried out in two parts, will vary based on
location. On average statewide, the base rate will increase by 7.5% on
June 1 and by another 7.5% on June 1, 2026.
The highest increases generally will occur in parts of eastern North
Carolina hit hard by Hurricane Matthew in 2016 and Hurricane Florence in
2018, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported. For example, beach areas
from Carteret to Brunswick counties will see an average 16% increase in
mid-2025 and an additional 15.9% in mid-2026.
[to top of second column] |

North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey talks to reporters
at the Albemarle Building in Raleigh, N.C., April 24, 2023. (AP
Photo/Hannah Schoenbaum, file)
 Areas harmed the most by historic
flooding from Hurricane Helene in the fall will face
lower-than-average increases. Base rates in Buncombe, Watauga and
Yancey counties, for example, will increase by 4.4% in 2025 and 4.5%
in mid-2026.
Among highly populated areas, base rates in Raleigh and Durham will
increase on average by 7.5% in each of the next two years. In
Charlotte, rates would increase by 9.3% in 2025 and by 9.2 % in
2026.
The settlement also bars the Rate Bureau from undertaking an effort
to increase rates again before June 1, 2027, Causey's release said.
Bureau Chief Operating Officer Jarred Chappell said separately that
the settlement is “a step in the right direction" but that the
bureau had asked for a larger increase “because that’s what recent
claims data called for."
"Storms have gotten stronger and more damaging, more people are
living in disaster-prone areas, inflation in the construction
industry has been particularly high and reinsurance costs have
exploded. All these cost drivers remain an issue,” Chappell said in
a written statement.
North Carolina insurance law contains a “consent-to-rate” exception
that allows industry members to insure high-risk homeowners if they
agree to pay premiums at rates that are up to 250% of the bureau’s
rate.
While some insurers have pulled out of disaster-prone parts of North
Carolina, the exception has helped prevent a mass exodus of home
insurers from the state. About 40% of the state’s homeowners’
policies were set by consent-to-rate policies in 2022, The News &
Observer reported.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved
 |