Yemen's Houthis signal they'll now limit their attacks in the Red Sea
corridor to Israeli ships
Send a link to a friend
[January 20, 2025]
By JON GAMBRELL
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Yemen's Houthi rebels have signaled
they now will limit their attacks in the Red Sea corridor to only
Israeli-affiliated ships, just as a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip entered
its second day Monday.
The Houthis' announcement, made in an email sent to shippers and others
on Sunday, likely won't be enough to encourage global firms to reenter
the route that's crucial for cargo and energy shipments moving between
Asia and Europe. Their attacks have halved traffic through the region,
cutting deeply into revenues for Egypt, which runs the Suez Canal
linking the Red Sea to the Mediterranean.
“The ceasefire is considered fragile,” said Jakob P. Larsen, the head of
maritime security for BIMCO, the largest international association
representing shipowners.
“It is assessed that even minor deviations from the ceasefire agreements
could lead to hostilities, which would subsequently prompt the Houthis
to again direct threats against a broader range of international
shipping.”
The Houthis separately planned a military statement on Monday, likely
about the decision.
The Houthis made the announcement through their Humanitarian Operations
Coordination Center, saying it was “stopping sanctions” on the other
vessels it has previously targeted since November 2023.
For Israeli ships, those “sanctions ... will be stopped upon the full
implementation of all phases" of the ceasefire, it added.
However, the center left open resuming attacks against both the United
States and the United Kingdom, which have launched airstrikes targeting
the rebels over their seaborne assaults.
“In the event of any aggression ... the sanctions will be reinstated
against the aggressor state,” the center said. "You will be promptly
informed of such measures should they be implemented."

[to top of second column]
|

The Houthis have targeted over 100 merchant vessels with missiles
and drones since the Israel-Hamas war in the Gaza Strip started in
October 2023, after Hamas’ surprise attack on Israel that killed
1,200 people and saw 250 others taken hostage. Israel's military
offensive in Gaza has killed over 46,000 Palestinians, according to
local health officials who do not distinguish between civilians and
combatants but say women and children make up more than half the
fatalities.
The Iranian-backed Houthis have seized one vessel and sunk two in a
campaign that has also killed four sailors. Other missiles and
drones have either been intercepted by separate U.S.- and
European-led coalitions in the Red Sea or failed to reach their
targets, which have also included Western military vessels.
The rebels had maintained that they target ships linked to Israel,
the U.S. or the U.K. to force an end to Israel’s campaign against
Hamas in Gaza. However, many of the ships attacked had little or no
connection to the conflict, including some bound for Iran.

The tempo of Houthi attacks has slowed in recent weeks, particularly
involving ships at sea. That may be due in part to the U.S.
airstrike campaign. The U.S. and its partners alone have struck the
Houthis over 260 times, according to the International Institute for
Strategic Studies.
However, the rebels had continued to launch drones and missiles
targeting Israel, which has warned it will continue to strike Houthi
leadership.
Another wild card is President Donald Trump after he is inaugurated
Monday. He may reapply a foreign terrorist organization designation
on the Houthis that President Joe Biden revoked, which could spark
attacks again.
“Uncertainty is further exacerbated by today’s inauguration of
Trump,” Larsen said. “It remains unclear how the Trump
administration will act in the conflict with the Houthis and whether
potential punitive actions against them will be considered.”
___
Associated Press writer David Rising in Bangkok contributed to this
report.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |