Trump
administration cuts funding for grants that support Illinois farmers
and food banks
Send a link to a friend
[March 05, 2025]
SPRINGFIELD, IL – The Illinois Department of
Agriculture (IDOA) today announced that the Local Food Purchase
Assistance Program (LFPA) and the Resilient Food Systems
Infrastructure Program (RFSI) can no longer operate in Illinois due
to the Trump Administration cutting funding for the programs.
Without explanation, the United States Department of Agriculture
(USDA) has informed states that it was ceasing reimbursements for
any costs incurred after January 19, 2025.
|
The USDA established the LFPA program to strengthen statewide
food systems, using federal funds to buy food from growers and
producers at fair market value that is distributed to
communities in need at no cost. In Illinois, 883 community sites
have distributed food from 176 farmers, 58% of whom meet the
USDA definition for new farmers. In addition, Illinois is the
only state committed to sourcing 100% of products from socially
disadvantaged farmers. Illinois was approved to distribute $43
million under the course of the multi-year agreement and $17.8
million remains outstanding from the federal government.
The purpose of the RFSI program is to expand the middle of the
food supply chain capacity for locally and regionally produced
foods to offer better market opportunities and new streams of
revenue to small and mid-sized agricultural producers. IDOA was
in the process of selecting grantees for the RFSI program, which
would have provided $6.4 million in grant funding to entities.
Recently, states were notified by USDA that LFPA and RFSI
invoices are being processed only for costs incurred on or prior
to January 19, 2025. Reimbursement claims submitted for costs
incurred after that date are being returned with no explanation
or timeline for reimbursements to resume.
“Cutting funds for these programs is a slap in the face to
Illinois farmers and the communities they feed,” said Governor
JB Pritzker. “The Trump Administration’s refusal to release
grant funds doesn’t just hurt farmers in the program, it
devastates our most vulnerable, food-insecure communities
relying on meat, fresh produce and other nutritious donations.”
[to top of second column] |

“This program requires Illinois
farmers to invest in upfront input costs which is no longer possible
given that the federal government has said they will no longer
provide reimbursements,” said IDOA Director Jerry Costello II.
“Without federal funding, the program that has helped to create
local food systems in Illinois is unfortunately no longer able to
operate.”
“Agriculture drives so much of the economy and innovation in
Illinois – this loss in support for our farmers, especially those
from communities that have historically been disinvested in, is a
loss for everyone in our state,” said IDHS Secretary Dulce M.
Quintero. “Access to nutrition is a human right, and I join our
Governor and State leaders in calling on the federal government to
do the right thing and help sustain our food system with the grant
funding that had been established.”
[Lori Harlan]
 |