Hnatov replaced Anatoliy Barhylevych, who held the position
since February 2024. The appointment was announced by the
general staff via its Telegram channel Sunday.
“We are systematically transforming the Armed Forces of Ukraine
to enhance their combat effectiveness,” Defense Minister Rustem
Umerov said.
Barhylevych will now serve as the general inspector of Ukraine’s
Defense Ministry. Umerov emphasized that Barhylevych would
“remain part of the team,” overseeing military standards and
strengthening discipline in the army.
Oleksandr Syrskyi remains in place as commander-in-chief of
Ukraine’s armed forces.
Zelenskyy has made frequent personnel changes within the
Ukrainian government and military since Russia launched its
full-scale invasion in 2022.
This change in personnel comes as fighting continues in Russia’s
Kursk region, where Ukraine’s General Staff said that Ukrainian
troops had been involved in eight combat clashes on Sunday.
Ukraine's army stunned Russia in August last year by attacking
across the border and taking control of an estimated 1,300
square kilometers (500 square miles) of land, but Ukraine’s
forces are now in retreat — meaning Ukraine has all but lost a
valuable bargaining chip, as momentum builds for a ceasefire
with Russia. On Friday, Russia claimed control of Sudzha, the
largest town that Ukraine had occupied in the Kursk region.
Ukraine is also battling under growing pressure in its eastern
Donetsk region, where Russian troops have been advancing for
months.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights
reserved |
|