The aid organization said the attack occurred after it decided
to suspend services at the Turgeau Emergency Center on Saturday
given “brutal street fighting” that was moving closer to the
facility. It noted that one of its convoys “was repeatedly and
intentionally fired upon, despite prior coordination with
authorities.”
No one was killed, but staff members received minor injuries,
said Benoit Vasseur, the group’s head of mission in Haiti.
“Currently, it is impossible to continue operations at the
hospital, but we are committed to reopening our facility as soon
as the situation allows us to do so safely,” he said.
Doctors Without Borders said it is the second time in less than
four months that it has been forced to suspend operations at
that health facility in Port-au-Prince.
The Turgeau Emergency Center was one of the few remaining
hospitals in Haiti’s capital that was fully functional as gangs
that control 85% of Port-au-Prince step up attacks in a bid to
control more territory.
More than 5,600 people were killed across Haiti last year, with
gang violence in recent years leaving more than one million
people homeless, according to the U.N.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights
reserved |
|