CBS' '60 Minutes' is unflinching in its White House coverage in the
shadow of Trump's $20B lawsuit
[March 19, 2025]
By DAVID BAUDER
NEW YORK (AP) — As CBS corporate leaders ponder settling President
Donald Trump's $20 billion lawsuit against the network's “60 Minutes,”
America's storied newsmagazine has produced some fast and hard-hitting
stories critical of the new administration in every episode since Trump
was inaugurated.
The latest was Sunday, when CBS News helped pay for a performance
featuring non-white middle and high school musicians who had won a
contest and with it, the right to play with the U.S. Marine Corps Band.
The original concert, however, was canceled because of Trump's executive
order ending diversity, equity and inclusion efforts.
Correspondent Scott Pelley narrated six of the show's seven stories
since Trump's inauguration, including Sunday's. He examined the
administration’s policies toward Ukraine and tariffs, looked at changes
in the Justice Department and reported on firings of government
watchdogs. Shortly after his piece on the dismantling of USAID, Elon
Musk suggested “long prison sentences” for those working on the show.
All came at a time when television's most popular and influential news
broadcast was being watched to see how it would respond to a unique
pressure.
“This may be a lawsuit that is designed to intimidate, but they are
clearly making a statement that they will not be intimidated,” said Tom
Bettag, a longtime television news producer who worked under Mike
Wallace and Morley Safer at the CBS show.
Pelley, meanwhile, has quickly become a polarizing figure.
“Another week, another ‘60 Minutes’ story trying to discredit Trump
policies,” Brent Baker, editor of the conservative media watchdog
NewsBusters, wrote on X on Sunday night.

The context surrounding the ‘60 Minutes’ reports
Trump's lawsuit, coupled with a parallel Federal Communications
Commission investigation, accuses “60 Minutes” of election interference
for the way it edited Bill Whitaker's interview last fall with Trump's
2024 opponent, Kamala Harris.
Two sound bites, broadcast on “60 Minutes” and CBS' “Face the Nation,”
depicted Harris giving different responses to Whitaker in a discussion
about Israel. CBS said Harris made both comments in her answer to
Whitaker and that the two shows ended up using different parts of a long
sound bite. CBS argued the apparent discrepancy was typical of editing
and not, as Trump has suggested, that different remarks by Harris were
used to make her look better.
CBS parent Paramount Global filed new motions in the past two weeks to
get both the lawsuit and the FCC probe dismissed. Still, Shari Redstone,
head of Paramount, is reportedly anxious for a settlement, much like
Disney agreed to pay $16 million in December to end Trump's lawsuit
against ABC News' George Stephanopoulos. Complicating matters is
Paramount's proposed merger with Skydance Media, which needs approval
from the Trump administration.
Many at CBS News resist a settlement, insisting “60 Minutes” did nothing
wrong. The show's executive producer, Bill Owens, told his staff last
month that he would not apologize as part of any prospective settlement.
“My precious ‘60 Minutes’ is fighting, quite frankly, for our life,”
correspondent Lesley Stahl said earlier this month in accepting a First
Amendment award from the Radio Television Digital News Association. “I
am so proud of ‘60 Minutes’ that we are standing up and fighting for
what is right.”
Neither Owens nor Pelley would comment on whether the show is trying to
deliver any sort of message about the lawsuit through its work. Bettag
said he believed “60 Minutes” is motivated by the importance of the
stories.
What the show has done during the past two months is striking, said
Bettag, now a journalism professor at the University of Maryland.
[to top of second column]
|

Scott Pelley, anchor of "CBS Evening News," at the CBS Upfront in
New York, May 15, 2013. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)

“The ‘60 Minutes’ people are such committed journalists that they’d
consider it foolish to be doing these stories because of what is a
frivolous lawsuit,” he said. “The lawsuit pales in comparison with
the monumental changes Trump is trying to implement. Those
correspondents and producers know that this is a moment that
requires their very best work."
Some of the segments were unusually urgent for the newsmagazine,
which tends to do longer-range stories that could take months to
produce. Pelley's March 2 report about Ukraine came only days after
the White House confrontation between Trump and Ukrainian President
Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
Musk's angry comment on his X social media platform came after
Pelley's Feb. 16 story about the billionaire's role in the quick
shutdown of the USAID office. “The world's richest man had cut off
assistance to the world's poorest families,” Pelley said, noting
that Musk collects “billions of taxpayer dollars” for his SpaceX
company.
Hours later, Musk wrote on X: “60 Minutes are the biggest liars in
the world! They engaged in deliberate deception to interfere with
the last election. They deserve a long prison sentence.”
Other news organizations have done admirable work under difficult
circumstances, said Bill Grueskin, a Columbia University journalism
professor. Besides Pelley, he cited the news staff of the Washington
Post at a time the newspaper’s owner, Jeff Bezos, has shown more
friendliness to Trump.
'The concert that was not meant to be heard'
Sunday’s “60 Minutes” story involved some elite high school students
— each of them either of either Black, Hispanic, Indian or Asian
descent — who had earned the right to play with the Marine band
before the show was called off.
CBS worked with Equity Arc, an organization devoted to increasing
the number of minority students playing classical music, to organize
a show for family and friends of the students outside Washington,
D.C.. Retired members of military bands were brought in to work with
the students. CBS News, which wanted to interview the students, paid
for the travel and lodging of 22 of them.
Pelley called it the “concert that was not meant to be heard.”
“The original Marine Band concert would have been seen by hundreds,”
he said. “Here tonight, these musicians are being heard by
millions.”

Pelley's March 9 report, “Firing the Watchdogs,” was about Trump's
efforts to fire inspector generals and thwart others who protect
whistleblowers in government agencies. He quoted Trump as saying the
firings were standard for a new administration taking office. “He's
wrong,” Pelley said.
His story about the U.S. Justice Department examined the resistance
among some prosecutors to drop corruption charges against New York
City Mayor Eric Adams.
“As he continues to step up his attacks on President Donald Trump
and the new administration, Pelley is elbowing aside all others to
emerge as Trump's loudest TV critic,” wrote Paul Bedard of the
Washington Examiner.
In his stories, Pelley's deadpan voice and methodical style could
not hide the sharpness of some observations. While narrating the
story about USAID, Pelley noted that “It's too soon to tell how
serious President Trump is in defiance of the Constitution."
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |