In their own words: Trump officials shrugging off Signal leak once
decried Clinton's server
[March 26, 2025]
By WILL WEISSERT
WASHINGTON (AP) — The attempts by President Donald Trump and top leaders
of his administration to downplay a security breach that revealed
military strike plans in a Signal group chat including a journalist
stand in stark contrast to their reaction to Hillary Clinton's use of a
home server as secretary of state.
This time, they've largely focused their ire not on sweeping potential
security lapses, or punishments as a result, but on the journalist who
was errantly added to the group text and reported on it: editor-in-chief
for The Atlantic, Jeffrey Goldberg. Some of the text's participants who
spoke out against Clinton haven't commented publicly at all about the
Signal leak.
One of the chief concerns about Clinton’s email server was that it was
insecure, and that sensitive information could fall into the wrong
hands. But former FBI Director James Comey said in recommending that no
charges be brought against Clinton that there was no evidence that her
email account had been hacked by hostile actors.
Trump insisted Tuesday that no classified information was divulged in
the group chat, though Goldberg wrote that messaging revealed “precise
information about weapons packages, targets, and timing” of strikes in
Yemen. The White House’s National Security Council has said it is
investigating.
For her part, Clinton's reaction to Goldberg's reporting was one of
astonishment: “You have got to be kidding me,” Clinton said in an X post
that spotlighted The Atlantic article and included an eyes emoji.
Here's a look at what some of the officials in the group chat, and some
of those steadfastly standing by them, are saying now versus then.

Trump
Now: “The main thing was nothing happened. The attack was totally
successful,” Trump said during a meeting with a group of his ambassadors
at the White House on Tuesday.
He also called his national security adviser, Michael Waltz, “a very
good man” and insisted “he will continue to do a very good job,” while
adding, “I think it’s very unfair how they attacked Michael" and
labeling Goldberg a “total sleazebag.”
Later, in an interview with Newsmax, Trump said a Waltz aide had
Goldberg’s number and “this guy ended up on the call." He also added
that he felt good about what occurred. "I can only go by what I’ve been
told ... but I feel very comfortable, actually.”
Then: “Hillary is the one who sent and received classified information
on an insecure server, putting the safety of the American people under
threat,” Trump said in an October 2016 speech in Warren, Michigan.
“The rigged system refused to prosecute her for conduct that put all of
us, everybody in this room, everybody in this country at risk. Hillary
Clinton went to great lengths to create a private email server and to
bypass government security in order to keep her emails from being read
by the public and by federal officials,” he said in a November 2016
speech in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
And, during a Florida rally in July 2016, he even urged Russian hackers
to help find a batch of emails said to have vanished from Clinton’s
private server. “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find
the 30,000 emails that are missing."
Waltz
Now: “I think there’s a lot in the lessons for a lot of journalists in
this city who have made big names for themselves making up lies about
this president,” Waltz said during Tuesday’s White House meeting with
Trump and the ambassadors.

He also said of Goldberg, “This journalist, Mr. President, wants the
world talking about more hoaxes.”
In a subsequent interview on Fox News Channel’s “The Ingraham Angle,”
Waltz said, “I take full responsibility. I built the group.” He also
contradicted Trump by saying that no staffer was responsible.
Waltz further acknowledged, “embarrassing, yes” and said, “We made a
mistake. We’re moving forward.”
[to top of second column]
|

President Donald Trump attends a reception celebrating Greek
Independence Day in the East Room of the White House, Monday, March
24, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

Then: “How is it Hillary Clinton can delete 33,000 government emails
on a private server, yet President Trump gets indicted for having
documents he could declassify?” Waltz posted in June 2023,
referencing charges against Trump for mishandling classified
documents. The case was scrapped after Trump won a second term.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth
Now: “Nobody was texting war plans,” Hegseth told journalists
traveling with him in Hawaii on Monday. He said of Goldberg, “You’re
talking about a deceitful and highly discredited so-called
journalist who’s made a profession of peddling hoaxes.”
Then: “Any security professional, military, government or otherwise,
would be fired on the spot for this type of conduct and criminally
prosecuted for being so reckless with this kind of information,"
Hegseth, then a regular contributor for Fox News Channel, said of
Clinton's emails on the network in 2016.
That same year, Hegseth asked on Fox News, “How damaging is it to
your ability to recruit or build allies with others when they are
worried that our leaders may be exposing them because of their gross
negligence or their recklessness in handling information?”
In another 2016 Fox News segment, Hegseth said, “If it was anyone
other than Hillary Clinton, they would be in jail right now for what
has been done. Because the assumption is, in the intelligence
community, if you are using unclassified means, there is the
potential for, and likelihood, that foreign governments are
targeting those accounts and gathering intelligence from them."
Secretary of State Marco Rubio
Now: No public comment on the Signal group chat.
Then: “Nobody is above the law, not even Hillary Clinton – even
though she thinks she is," Rubio told Fox News in January 2016.
The previous year in a Fox News interview, Rubio referred to the
same emails when he said, “What they did is reckless — it’s complete
recklessness and incompetence.”

Deputy chief of staff for policy Stephen Miller
Now: No public comment on the Signal leak.
Then: Miller posted in 2022: “One point that doesn’t get made enough
about Hillary’s unsecured server illegally used to conduct state
business (obviously created to hide the Clintons’ corrupt
pay-for-play): foreign adversaries could easily hack classified ops
& intel in real time from other side of the globe.”
CIA Director John Ratcliffe
Now: “My communications, to be clear, in a Signal message group were
entirely permissible and lawful and did not include classified
information," Ratcliffe said at a Tuesday congressional hearing.
Then: On Fox News in 2018, Ratcliffe suggested of officials who
mishandle sensitive information: “It’s always a good thing that we
see that there is investigation and prosecution of folks if they’re
not handling that information appropriately.”
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard
Now: “There’s a difference between inadvertent release versus
careless and sloppy, malicious leaks of classified information,”
Gabbard said at the same congressional hearing.
Then: Gabbard posted on X earlier this month, “Any unauthorized
release of classified information is a violation of the law and will
be treated as such.”
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |