Medical supplies in great need as international assistance flows into
Myanmar after earthquake
[March 31, 2025]
By BRIAN P. D. HANNON
BANGKOK (AP) — Emergency aid has streamed into Southeast Asia in the two
days since a massive earthquake struck Myanmar and Thailand. Relief
efforts are focused on Myanmar, where the estimated death toll rose to
1,644 by Sunday afternoon.
The number of dead from Friday’s 7.7 magnitude quake is expected to
increase, while the number of injured was 3,408 and 139 people were
missing as of Sunday. The earthquake's epicenter was near Mandalay,
Myanmar’s second-largest city with 1.5 million people. In neighboring
Thailand, the death toll rose to 17.
While food, medicine and other vital supplies have reached Myanmar, a
report issued Saturday by the U.N. Office for the Coordination of
Humanitarian Affairs said rescue efforts have been hampered by a severe
shortage of medical supplies including trauma kits, blood bags,
anesthetics, assistive devices, essential medicine and tents to house
health workers.
“We fear it may be weeks before we understand the full extent of
destruction caused by this earthquake,” said Mohammed Riyas, the IRC’s
Myanmar director.
Here is a look at some of the contributions in supplies, personnel and
monetary support and the nations and groups providing assistance:

Direct assistance by nations
On Sunday, a convoy of 17 Chinese cargo trucks carrying critical shelter
and medical supplies was expected to reach Mandalay. China said it has
sent more than 135 rescue personnel and experts along with supplies like
medical kits, generators, earthquake detectors and drones while pledging
around $13.8 million in emergency aid.
Hong Kong on Saturday dispatched 51 search-and-rescue personnel
including firefighters and ambulance personnel as well as two
search-and-rescue dogs. The group brought 9 tons (18,000 pounds) of
equipment including life detectors and an automatic satellite tracking
antenna system, according to a statement on the Hong Kong government’s
website. The Hong Kong government also will set aside HK$30 million
($3.9 million) from its Disaster Relief Fund to help Myanmar victims.
Russia’s Emergencies Ministry said it had flown in 120 rescuers and
supplies to Yangon, Myanmar’s second-largest city, and Russia’s Health
Ministry said Moscow had sent a medical team that includes specialists
in infectious diseases, resuscitation, traumatology and psychology, as
well as search and rescue teams with canine units and devices that can
search in rubble with depths as much as 4.5 meters (14.7 feet).
Two Indian C-17 military transport aircraft on Saturday brought in a
field hospital unit and some 120 personnel who traveled north to
Mandalay to establish a 60-bed emergency treatment center, the country’s
Foreign Ministry said. India previously said it planned to send five
aircrafts and four ships with relief supplies including rescue team and
medical teams.
[to top of second column]
|

In this photo released by Xinhua News Agency, Chinese rescuers
arrive at the Yangon International Airport in Yangon, Myanmar on
Saturday, March 29, 2025. (Haymhan Aung/Xinhua via AP)

Malaysia’s foreign ministry said the country would send 50 personnel
to help identify and provide aid to the worst-hit areas.
South Korea said it will provide $2 million in humanitarian aid
through international organizations.
New Zealand’s Foreign Minister Winston Peters said in a post on X
that his government would support relief efforts “via the
International Red Cross Movement.”
The European Commission said Friday it would release 2.5 million
euros ($2.7 million) in initial emergency assistance to assist with
earthquake relief, bringing the European Union's total humanitarian
aid for Myanmar to more than €35 million ($37.8 million) this year.
Ireland announced Saturday the government would provide an aid
package of €6 million ($6.49 million) with €3 million ($3.2 million)
to support the International Federation of the Red Cross and the
Myanmar Red Cross Society, €1.5 million ($1.6 million) each to the
Myanmar Humanitarian Fund and U.N. Refugee Agency Joint Response
Plan.
President Donald Trump said Friday the U.S. would help with the
response, but some experts were concerned about the promised effort
given his administration’s deep cuts in foreign assistance.
Aid agencies contributing
The U.N. humanitarian affairs office said it has mobilized with
other groups and $5 million has been allocated from a Central
Emergency Response Fund for “life-saving assistance.”

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
released 2 million Swiss francs ($2.2 million) in emergency funds to
support the organization's work in Myanmar, Jagan Chapagain, the
organization's secretary general and CEO, said in a social media
post Sunday.
Cara Bragg, the Yangon-based manager of Catholic Relief Services in
Myanmar, said relief efforts have largely consisted of local
volunteers trying to find loved ones.
Despite the influx of countries sending search and rescue teams,
"hospitals are really struggling to cope with the influx of injured
people, there’s a shortage of medical supplies, and people are
struggling to find food and clean water,” Bragg said.
All contents © copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved |