Congolese report constant burials as deaths in new Ebola outbreak reach
80
[May 16, 2026]
ITURI, Congo (AP) — At least 80 deaths have been reported in Congo's new
Ebola disease outbreak in the eastern Ituri province, authorities said,
as health workers raced Saturday to intensify screening and contact
tracing to contain the disease. Officials first announced the outbreak
on Friday, with 65 deaths and 246 suspected cases.
Meanwhile, Associated Press journalists in Ituri’s capital, Bunia,
interviewed locals who recounted their fears and constant burials.
“Every day, people are dying ... and this has been going on for about a
week. In a single day, we bury two, three, or even more people,” said
Jean Marc Asimwe, a resident of Bunia. “At this point, we don’t really
know what kind of disease it is,” said Asimwe.
Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba said late Friday that there
have been eight laboratory-confirmed cases, among them four deaths.
Test results confirmed the Bundibugyo virus, a variant of the disease
that has been less prominent in Congo’s past outbreaks. This is Congo’s
17th outbreak since Ebola first emerged in the country in 1976.
Ebola is highly contagious and can be contracted through bodily fluids
such as vomit, blood, or semen. The disease it causes is rare, but
severe and often fatal.
The suspected index case in the latest outbreak is a nurse who died at a
hospital in Bunia, Kamba said. He said the case dates back three weeks
to April 24.

He did not say whether samples from the nurse were tested, but said the
person presented symptoms suggestive of Ebola.
Congo is a large country that often faces logistical challenges
Congo has experience in managing Ebola outbreaks but often faces
logistical challenges to get expertise and supplies to affected regions.
As Africa’s second-largest country by land area, Congo’s provinces are
far from one another and mostly battling conflict. Ituri, for instance,
is around 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) from the nation’s capital,
Kinshasa, and is ravaged by violence from Islamic State-backed
militants.
[to top of second column]
|

This undated colorized transmission electron micrograph file image
made available by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) shows an Ebola virus virion. (Frederick Murphy/CDC via AP,
File)

The disease is so far confirmed in three health zones in the Ituri
province, including the capital city, Bunia, as well as in Rwampara and
Mongwalu where the outbreak is concentrated.
Only 13 blood samples have been tested at the National Institute of
Biomedical Research, eight returning positive with the Bundibugyo
strain. The remaining five could not be analyzed due to an insufficient
volume of samples, the health minister said.
In Bunia, business appears to be normal
In Bunia, Ituri's main city, businesses and regular activities at public
places appeared to be normal on Friday.
Resident Adeline Awekonimungu said she hopes the outbreak is quickly
contained. "My recommendation is that the government take this matter
seriously and that it takes charge of the hospitals so that this matter
can be brought under control,” she said.
Uganda also has confirmed an Ebola case that authorities said was
“imported” from Congo. The person died at a hospital in Uganda’s
capital, Kampala.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention had said it is
concerned about the risk of further spread due to the proximity of
affected areas to Uganda and South Sudan.
All contents © copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved
 |