Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of
Gulf allies
[May 19, 2026]
By MICHELLE L. PRICE
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a
military strike on Iran planned for Tuesday because “serious
negotiations” are underway to end the war.
“There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out.
If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very
happy,” Trump said at the White House on Monday evening, after first
making the announcement in a social media post.
Trump said he had planned “a very major attack” but put it off — “for a
little while, hopefully, maybe forever." He said America’s allies in the
Gulf asked him to wait for two to three days because they feel they are
close to a deal with Iran.
Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire reached in
mid-April could end if Iran did not make a deal, with shifting
parameters for striking such an agreement. Over the weekend he warned,
“For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or
there won’t be anything left of them.”
The president has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed
off. But he’s also previously indicated he would hold off on military
action to allow talks to continue — only to turn around and launch
strikes. That’s what happened at the war’s outset, when he ordered
strikes in late February shortly after indicating he would let talks
play out.
Trump said the current pause for negotiations was a “very positive
development," while acknowledging there were times in the past when a
deal seemed close but nothing came of it. “But this is a little bit
different,” he said.
Trump credits Gulf allies
The president, who had not previously disclosed that he was planning a
strike for Tuesday, did not offer details about the planned attack but
said in his social media post he had instructed the U.S. military “to be
prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a
moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

Trump said he was calling off the attack at the request of allies in the
Middle East, including the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United
Arab Emirates.
Iran and allied Shiite militias in Iraq have launched drone attacks
targeting the Gulf Arab states in the war. The United Arab Emirates has
recently accused Iran of launching drone and missile attacks despite the
ceasefire. On Sunday, a drone strike sparked a fire on the edge of the
UAE's sole nuclear power plant in what authorities called an “unprovoked
terrorist attack” while not assigning blame.
Trump in recent days has also spoken with Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu and Chinese President Xi Jinping about the Iran war.
Oil prices affected
Trump’s post quickly caused a fall in the price of oil, which had been
rising on the prospect of a prolonged standoff that would keep the
Strait of Hormuz effectively closed.
[to top of second column]
|


Minutes before the president’s announcement, petroleum futures had
been trading at $108.83 a barrel. His word about negotiations almost
instantly shaved more than $2 off the price, but it crept up again
and ended on Monday at $107.25 a barrel.
Shortly after Trump’s post, Iranian state TV called it a “retreat”
based on “fear” in its broadcast ticker and on its X account.
It reported earlier that defense systems were activated late Monday
on Qeshm Island in the Strait of Hormuz. It added the situation was
“under control” there, the largest Iranian island in the Persian
Gulf, home to about 150,000 people and a water desalination plant.
Major sticking points remain
Iran has effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a vital waterway
for the shipment of oil, gas, fertilizer and other petroleum
products. The U.S. is blockading Iranian ports and has redirected 85
commercial vessels from mid-April through Monday, U.S. Central
Command said in a social media post.
Earlier Monday, Turkey's Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said the
immediate concern of the negotiations between the U.S. and Iran was
keeping the Strait of Hormuz open, but Iran’s nuclear program
remained a central issue.
Speaking during a joint news conference with his German counterpart
in Berlin, Fidan said much of Iran’s enriched uranium that could
potentially be used for a nuclear weapon was buried under collapsed
tunnels following attacks in June that the U.S. launched with
Israel. The U.S. has said it is closely monitoring any movements
around the stockpile.
“At present, there isn’t a situation that poses a real threat,"
Fidan said. “But for this to continue, the parties must reach and
conclude a nuclear negotiation among themselves.”
The Turkish minister said he believes Iran is not opposed in
principle to complying with nuclear conditions, but added: “the
question is what will be given in return, in what order, and under
what conditions.”
With talks at a standstill last week, Iran's foreign minister said
Friday that a lack of trust was the biggest impediment to
negotiations.
Iran, which says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, was
said to have included some nuclear concessions in its latest
proposal to end the war. But Trump dismissed the proposal as
“garbage."
___
Associated Press writers Josh Boak and Darlene Superville in
Washington, Giovanna Dell’Orto in Minneapolis and Suzan Fraser in
Ankara, Turkey, contributed to this report.
All contents © copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved |