Woman at center of sprawling Minnesota fraud gets nearly 42-year prison
sentence
[May 22, 2026]
By TIM SULLIVAN
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A judge on Thursday handed down an extraordinary
prison sentence — nearly 42 years — to the former leader of a Minnesota
nonprofit who was convicted in a staggering $250 million fraud case that
helped ignite an immigration crackdown by the Trump administration.
Aimee Bock ran Feeding Our Future, which had claimed it helped provide
millions of meals to needy children during the pandemic. The U.S.
Justice Department, however, said she was atop the “single largest
COVID-19 fraud scheme in the country.”
“I understand I failed. I failed the public, my family, everyone,” Bock,
45, said in federal court.
After the hearing, authorities announced charges against 15 more people
accused of fraud in receiving federal payments for a variety of social
services administered through Minnesota's state government. The FBI said
one man jumped from a fourth-floor balcony to avoid arrest.
“We will claw back every dollar you have stolen from the American
people,” Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald said, noting that the
government sent more prosecutors and agents to Minnesota this year.
President Donald Trump used the fraud cases against Bock and many others
to initially justify a massive surge of federal agents to the
Minneapolis-St. Paul area last winter to target immigrants, leading to
repeated confrontations between residents and those officers and the
deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti.

Fake lists, lavish spending
COVID-19 brought changes to a federal program that typically fed
children through schools. Restaurants could participate, and food
distribution was extended to sites outside schools.
Investigators said Bock's nonprofit was at the center of a crime network
that included a web of partner organizations, phony distribution sites,
kickbacks and fake lists of children. Feeding Our Future recruited
people to create sites throughout Minnesota, and claims for
reimbursement quickly followed, according to the government.
“Aimee was a god,” a witness testified at trial.
Bock had long proclaimed her innocence but was convicted of conspiracy,
fraud and bribery. Investigators said she and co-conspirators enriched
themselves with international travel, real estate, luxury vehicles and
other lavish spending.
“This was a vortex of fraud and you were at the epicenter,” U.S.
District Judge Nancy Brasel told Bock.
A co-defendant was sentenced last August to 28 years in prison. Abdiaziz
Farah claimed to be serving meals to thousands of children per day,
investigators said, but the sites turned out to be parking lots or empty
commercial space.
Bock’s lawyer, Kenneth Udoibok, had argued for no more than three years
in prison, saying she had provided key information to investigators. He
said Bock, a former teacher, had been unfairly portrayed as the
mastermind and insisted that two co-defendants were responsible for
running the scams.
State auditors found that the Minnesota Department of Education received
numerous complaints about Feeding Our Future, but often told the group
to police itself. In January, Democratic Gov. Tim Walz said he would not
run for reelection after being pounded by Trump about theft in programs
that rely on federal cash.
[to top of second column]
|

Assistant Attorney General for the Fraud Division Colin McDonald
arrives for a press conference Thursday, May 21, 2026, in
Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Glen Stubbe)

Trump, who has long derided Somalis, last year blasted Minnesota as
“a hub of fraudulent money laundering activity.”
“Somali gangs are terrorizing the people of that great State, and
BILLIONS of Dollars are missing. Send them back to where they came
from,” Trump wrote on social media.
Bock is white, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office says the overwhelming
majority of defendants in the cases are of Somali descent. Most are
U.S. citizens.
At least 65 people have been convicted in a series of overlapping
food fraud cases. Investigations began during the Biden
administration.
“This case has changed our state forever,” Joe Thompson, formerly
the lead prosecutor in the case, said outside the courtroom. “Aimee
Bock did everything she could to earn this long sentence.”
Fraud cases grow
In a fresh batch of criminal cases filed this week in Minnesota, the
government said alleged fraud involved $90 million across seven
state-managed Medicaid programs.
The defendants include Fahima Mahamud, who was CEO of Future Leaders
Early Learning Center, a childcare center in Minneapolis. Over three
years, Mahamud’s organization was reimbursed approximately $4.6
million for services on behalf of people who didn’t make a required
copayment, prosecutors allege.
A message seeking comment from her lawyer was not immediately
returned Thursday. Mahamud earlier this year pleaded not guilty to
fraud related to meals.
Two other people were charged with conspiring to get $975,000 in
Medicaid subsidies for housing services that were not provided.

Two additional people were accused of receiving $21.1 million by
billing Medicaid for autism therapy that was either unnecessary or
not provided. Investigators said the two paid families as much as
$1,500 per child per month to add their names to the program and get
reimbursement.
Minnesota's Department of Human Services said it helped build the
cases. Inspector General James Clark said payments to more than 600
providers have been halted since 2025 because of fraud allegations.
___
AP reporters Scott Bauer in Madison, Wisconsin, and Ed White in
Detroit contributed.
All contents © copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved |