Zion Lutheran remodeling extends 'Sharing Christ's Love with Every Generation'Send a link to a friend
[Note: Because of server upgrades, this article was not posted on the scheduled date.]
[OCT. 29, 2005] After years of battling steep church entryway steps and stairs throughout the education building, members and friends of Zion Lutheran Church in Lincoln will have an easier time using the church buildings.
On Sunday the congregation will celebrate the opening of a new building addition, which connects the sanctuary and the education building. Celebration worship services will be at 8 and 10:30 a.m. A 1 p.m. ribbon-cutting will be followed by public tours from 1 to 4. The Reformation Rally sponsored by the Lincoln Circuit churches of the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod will be at 4 p.m.
"The leaders of Zion have long recognized that to fulfill our mission of 'Sharing Christ's Love with Every Generation,' the 1903 church and the 1953 education building had several limitations," noted the Rev. Mark Carnahan.
The new addition addresses these limitations by providing an elevator to both the sanctuary and the education building and by adding handicapped-accessible restrooms. A curbside drop-off area has been added. The church office also has easier access.
The building addition also includes more classrooms for Bible study and meetings and a larger space for fellowship before and after worship services.
The architectural plan, prepared by Paul Young and Associates of Bloomington, preserves the historic appearance of the buildings. Felmley-Dickerson of Bloomington was the general contractor.
The new area features a stained-glass window of the Luther Rose, which was Martin Luther's coat of arms and has been an identifying symbol of the Lutheran church since the 16th-century Reformation. The window was created by Brooks Art Glass of Springfield.
"The most exciting thing about our Building for the Generations program is that now every generation has access to God's house," Carnahan said.
LCC hosts Webb Lectureship on Preaching Send a link to a friend
[OCT. 4, 2005] Lincoln Christian College and Seminary is pleased to announce that Dr. Scott Gibson, the Haddon W. Robinson Professor of Preaching and Ministry and director of the Center for Preaching at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, will present the 2005 Webb Lectureship on Preaching on Nov. 1 and 2. Gibson will deliver three lectures under the theme "Sermon Stealing: Preaching and Plagiarism."
The John M. Webb Lectureship on Preaching was established to honor the contributions of John M. Webb, who served the college as professor of preaching and academic dean.
Gibson has advanced degrees from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Princeton Theological Seminary and the University of Toronto, including a doctorate from the University of Oxford. Upon his return from Britain in 1985, he served as a pastor and interim pastor at churches in Pennsylvania and New York. He is the author of two books on preaching, has written numerous articles for books and journals, and is editor of The Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society. He and his wife, Rhonda, live in Beverly, Mass.
The times, locations and titles of the lectures are as follows:
For more information, visit www.lccs.edu or contact Marla Ruble at (217) 732-3168, ext. 2241.
[Lincoln Christian College and Seminary news release]
Send your church announcements and articles to email@example.com.