[to top of second column]
Red Sox executives met with Teixeira and Boras in the Dallas area last week. After Teixeira decided on the Yankees, Boston president Larry Lucchino said succinctly: "No comment at this time."
Boras informed Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail on Tuesday that Teixeira would sign elsewhere.
"We would have loved to have had the player, who appealed to us because of the special circumstances of where he's from and where we are. We diverted from our plan to try to get him," MacPhail said. "But at the end of the day, it was just too much to pay for one player. It would handicap our ability to go forward."
Nationals general manager Jim Bowden said his team's owners "demonstrated their commitment to win, when they stepped up in negotiations ... at the highest level."
"We are disappointed we weren't able to sign him," Bowden wrote in an e-mail to the AP, "and will now turn our attention to several other opportunities to improve our major league club this offseason."
Teixeira should help fill a void in the Yankees lineup created by the departures of first baseman Jason Giambi and right fielder Bobby Abreu, who became free agents. It also creates a logjam for New York, which acquired first baseman Nick Swisher last month in a trade with the Chicago White Sox.
Although Swisher also can play the outfield, the Yankees have a multitude of options there, including Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui, Melky Cabrera, Brett Gardner and Xavier Nady. Matsui currently is likely to be the designated hitter much of the time.
For all of Teixeira's positives, he gives the Yankees another slow-footed player who in 2010 will become the team's third starting infielder in his 30s. But the 2005 All-Star is a two-time Gold Glove winner who should improve New York's defense.
His agreement raises the Yankees' commitment for next year to approximately $185 million for 16 players on the 40-man roster. New York has three players eligible for arbitration: Nady, Cabrera and reliever Brian Bruney.
After Teixeira's agreement, the Yankees must reassess whether they want to re-sign pitcher Andy Pettitte, who was given an offer of about $10 million for one year but thus far hasn't accepted it.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
< Sports index
Back to top
News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching & Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries
Law & Courts |
Spiritual Life |
Health & Fitness |
Calendar | Letters to the Editor