Second Baptist Church celebrates 140 years this weekend
Send a link to a friend
[March 14, 2014]
Second Baptist Church, 1728
Tremont St., will celebrate the 140th anniversary of the church this
Sunday at 3 p.m. The Rev. David Stewart and Mount Emory Baptist
Church from Jacksonville will be guests for the service.
Second Baptist is one of two black churches in Lincoln. It was
formed in 1874 by 10 Christians, some of whom were former slaves,
who met in each other's homes for the first two years until they had
enough funds to build their first structure, on Broadway Street,
with land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Jefferson.
Second Baptist moved to their new location on Tremont Street in
1997 with a march from the old church to the new one. The march
included former Mayor John Guzzardo and other townspeople, with a
police and fire truck escort for the journey to the new edifice.
Second Baptist's membership has become very diverse over the last
few decades under the leadership of the current pastor, the Rev.
[Text from file received]