Thursday, March 31


City reopens brownfields remediation opportunity          Send a link to a friend

[MARCH 31, 2005]  Alderman Derrick Crane was disappointed to be telling the council last Tuesday that the first candidate for brownfield remediation has backed out.

Lincoln Parking LLC was to be the first property cleaned up, but the first logistics of that site have caused them to reconsider. The downtown property is intended to be used only for parking.

A representative for the company said that initial research into the project revealed that the property, which was a gas station, had two other gas stations within a block. They were told that it might be difficult to stop the cleanup where their property ended. The city only gets so much in grants for this. "We don't want to use it up," Jim Drew said. Additionally, they couldn't guarantee how much it might cost us, he said.

So, in the interest of what is best for them and the city, Lincoln Parking has withdrawn. The parking lot will still be built.

The state of Illinois is offering the brownfield grants for a limited period of time in an effort to help communities. Their reasons for doing this are threefold:

  • Protect public health and the environment.
  • Help the community get properties back on the tax rolls.
  • Increase the quality of life.

The state offers up to $240,000 in 70-30 grants to municipalities. The municipalities choose the properties that will be served by this funding. They may be public or private properties.

[to top of second column in this article]

The state covers 70 percent of the costs. The city assists property owners in getting the grants. Any in-kind services that the city provides during the process can be deducted from the remaining 30 percent.

The property owner will be kept informed of expenses as the project proceeds. The property owner can also stop a project for any reason with no negative consequences at any given time. The goal is simply to get as many properties cleaned up as possible.

Other property owners with interest are encouraged to contact City Hall, Alderman Crane or any other alderman. [City officials contact information]

[Jan Youngquist]

< Top Stories index

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching & Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law & Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health & Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor