FeaturesHonors & AwardsMenusAnnouncements Calendar


Stars shine at Central School dedication     Send a link to a friend

[OCT. 27, 2003]  Would you like to swing on a star? Apparently, 80 students from Central School would. At 2 p.m. on Sunday, a group of Central students ranging from kindergarten to sixth grade sang the old favorite "Swinging on a Star" and the Central School song during a special dedication ceremony and open house at the new school on Seventh Street. Mrs. Susan Rohrer, a third-grade teacher, worked with the group of children over just a few weeks to teach them the songs and choreography to go with them, and the students did a great job.

The ceremony was in the beautiful and spacious new gymnasium that boasts a curtained stage area, which opens either on the gym or to the lunchroom. District 27 Superintendent Robert Kidd introduced several honored guests who were in attendance, including Mayor Beth Davis and state Sen. Larry Bomke, as well as numerous members of the Lincoln City Council and Logan County Board. Many retired Central School teachers were also in attendance to help celebrate the new building.

Principal Christa Healy presented each member of the District 27 Board of Education with an engraved gold star in appreciation of their work in bringing the new school to this point. In turn, faculty and staff members at the school presented Ms. Healy with a framed print entitled "A Walk In The Park" for her office. Fourth-grade teacher Amy Tippett said they hope that in future years Ms. Healy will remember the last few months as just a walk in the park.

School board President Bruce Carmitchel made a few remarks, mainly to thank taxpayers for voting for the new school and paying the taxes that were necessary to pay 30 percent of the cost of the new school, with the remaining 70 percent coming from a state grant. Member of the Kids First Committee, the group originally responsible for working to change legislation and promote the program in the area to get the new schools built, were also introduced and recognized for their hard work.


[to top of second column in this article]

At the end of the ceremony, attendees were allowed to tour the building. All the classrooms were open, as well as the offices and library. The library drew a large crowd, and the students were very excited about the size of the library and the number of books available for them to read.

Students had been given the opportunity to write what they liked best about the new school, and the responses were on display throughout the building, mostly attached to the students' lockers or bulletin boards in classrooms. Responses varied, but the most popular aspect had to be the lockers. Students from second grade up now have their own lockers to store their things. Most were very excited about this and eager to show their parents and friends where their lockers were.

While most students cited the lockers as their favorite thing about the school, others like the gym, the lunchroom and the library. One young man even said he liked the walls in the new school, while a classmate said he loves everything about the new Central School. Indeed, the Central Stars, as the students call themselves, all seem to love their new school and were excited at the chance to show it off.

[Ruth Halpin]

Flowers and Things

515 Woodlawn Road
Lincoln, IL

(217) 732-7507

"Your Professional Florist"



is the place to advertise

Call (217) 732-7443
or e-mail



Our staff offers more than 25 years of experience in the automotive industry.

Greyhound Lube

At the corner of Woodlawn and
Business 55

No Appointments Necessary

Previous features

Back to top


News | Sports | Business | Rural Review | Teaching & Learning | Home and Family | Tourism | Obituaries

Community | Perspectives | Law & Courts | Leisure Time | Spiritual Life | Health & Fitness | Teen Scene
Calendar | Letters to the Editor